This was the second grist mill built in town, and at one time Wm. D Ross owned both. The original mill at this site burned in 1843. It was quickly rebuilt to the present structure still standing and was dubbed 'phoenix' for 'rose up from the ashes.' This mill had the capacity of grinding 40 bushels of wheat or 240 bushels of feed every 12 hours.